We had lots of requests for the Elderflower Cordial recipe served at the “no Impact Man” film the other week so thought we had better post it here (care of Azaharah).
- 25 or so elderflower heads
- Finely grated zest of 3 lemons and an orange ( used a lime in place of a lemon here) Plus juice of the fruit I KG of sugar or equivalent ( also tried out agave and maple which tasted good, doesn’t keep as long)
- 1.5 L boiling water ( used spring water)
- Pour the water over the elderflowers and zest, cover and leave over night.
- Next day, strain and put the liquid in a pan with the juice from the citrus fruit and the sugar/sweet stuff. Compost the flowers etc.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Cool and pour into bottles/ Kilmer jar (sterilised bottles)
Its somewhat late now for elderflowers with the dry spell but there are plenty of elderberries coming along! That means elderberry wine – lets us know your recipes from your foragings here and also potential spots for gathering on our map.